Friday, May 17, 2013

My Luna Moth Hatched!!!!



Last summer we found a big ol' caterpillar hanging around our garden. Unexpectedly, with in the hour we had our caterpillar in it's newly made cocoon. So winter passed and spring came along. I was checking it non  stop everyday this spring because our bug bottle is quite small and I didn't want our new luna moth to die! I thought our moth might be a dud because it wasn't hatching! Lo and behold a few days ago we had a large green moth hanging at the top of the bug bottle! I was running around shouting because I was so excited! I waited so long.  He was stunning!


I even got this guy to model with some products so you'll be seeing this one a few more times in future posts ;] Don't worry I was extra, extra, careful handling him. He dried out pretty quickly. Apparently luna moths only live about a week after hatching to find their mates (we need more baby lunar moth caterpillars!) so we had to let him go that night! 


This guy made my day and made the long wait worth it :]

Letting him go! Night photo

TGIF! Have a lovely weekend! Questions, comments, and advice welcome! 

5 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I tagged you for the Seven Deadly Sins of Beauty Tag!
    http://donttouchmytutu.blogspot.sg/2013/05/se7en-deadly-sins-of-beauty-tag.html
    Click the above link for more information and follow back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much!!!! I will for sure check it out :D :D

      Delete
  2. oh wow what a weird and beautiful little creature!


    ordaining serendipity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so so beautiful! They do look a little strange and kind of cute at the same time :] Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I think these moths are amazing, I have found a few over the years and really love their feathery antennae!

    ReplyDelete