Sunday, May 5, 2013

First Hike of the Season!

First Hike of the Season!


With warmer weather comes more hikes! Hiking in winter, in the mountains, is just a bit too cold for my taste. But the weather is getting warmer (thank goodness) so let the planning begin!

First hike planned was at Lake James on their largest loop, the Mills Creek Trail. It was only 3.6 miles and it went a lot faster than we both thought it would. I didn't even break a sweat. When I go hiking I want to sweat and feel those sore muscles afterwards. The trail was labeled moderate but I think it was a little more easy than the moderate trails I've been on, here in NC. The areas' landscape was a little scruffy and not as mountainous as hoped- it was not the most pretty hike we've been on. I expected more breathtaking lake/mountain views but I'm still glad we went.


I love to workout but what I love even more is bringing my workouts to the outdoors. Fresh air does the body and soul good. Hiking is the perfect way for me to escape and give my body what it needs. 


We saw lots of lizards and since it's still fairly early in the season, no one had been on the trail which meant spider city haha. I had my dad (who I get to go hiking with me since a single lady in the woods is not the safest way to go) walk in front with a pine tree branch to wave in around. I was looking forward to seeing the spring flowers in bloom and we did see little ones here and there. But the plant life itself was nice and colorful :]



Overall it was nice to get out! But our next hike will probably be more in the mountains. We are looking forward to possibly going to Grandfather mountain which is one of the highest peaks in the Blue Ridge Mountain Range.

 It's the perfect time to get fit and start using the outdoors as your gym! Do you have any hikes planned?

Questions, comments, and advice is welcome! Hope you all had a lovely weekend :]

4 comments:

  1. Great photographs!I love planning hikes, its so relaxing.

    Cheers, Kelsey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kelsey!! They really are :] Hope you had a lovely weekend!

      Delete
  2. that lizard is so rad! what a fun hike!

    ReplyDelete