Friday, April 12, 2013

We went from winter to summer? Gardening time



I know this isn't beauty or fashion related but what's the harm in getting to know a little more about me ;}?
I may be adding a splashes of my life now that it's warmer but only the interesting stuff, of course!

Well, the weather went from winter (30's and sleet) to spring/summer in the matter of a week here in North Carolina! What? I wasn't ready yet. My schedule is all out of whack now. But no frost = gardening time! 

While living in Italy, I was completely spoiled with fresh produce all the time. 100% better than produce you find at most grocery stores in the States. The tomatoes were to die for. A vegetable garden, producing fresh produce, is exactly what I need to spoil me some more

This year we added manure compost and peat moss to the soil. Last year we stuck all our fruits and veggie plants in a area we cleared (the soil was horrible) so we didn't get as much crop as we would have liked. This year, with better treated soil and some special fertilizer, we hope to have a great crop!

From left to right : strawberries, carrots, broccoli, brussle sprouts, spinach, lettuce, red leaf lettuce, potatoes, (front to back - right side) bell peppers, big beef tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, and banana peppers. Also stuck some okra in the back :]

Last year our peppers did the best out of anything. Let's see what this year brings!


We also planted more herbs this year! Since we use a ton basil, we decided to get 2 of those this time around. I throw basil on my pizzas, sandwhichs, pasta sauces...everything! YUM! We also got flat leaf parsley, oragano, and traditional parsley. All will come in handy- that's for sure!

Adding peat moss and root blast. Why yes!...those are ugly blue crocs... don't judge! They are for doing dirty work :P
While we were at it we decided to add a little something by the garden since it looked a little barren out that way. We got some Hostas!


Did you plant a flower or vegetable garden this year?


Let's get ready for warmer weather
Questions, comments, and blogging advice welcome. Have a beautiful weekend :]


16 comments:

  1. I am hoping to have a garden this year. Currently my only success has been a basil plant. :) I live in Arizona and unfortunately the rule of thumb for gardening here is not to plant outside until after Mother's Day which is a good thing considering we had snow and hail this week. :) I'm dropping by and a new follower from Aloha Friday's Blog Hop. I hope you can stop by. http://heresmytakeonit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! You will have to post about your garden! I love seeing what people are growing :] I love basil because you trim it and you get more and more basil! So handy to have around! I've heard that rule! Oh no... snow still? In Arizona?! I hope it warms up for you! Thank you so much for stopping by and for the follow! I will be sure to do the same :D

      Delete
  2. Today I only think about dacha!!!
    Amazing! Grate look and kisses!
    http://afinaskaterblogspotcom.blogspot.ru/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello sweety! Thanks for stopping by, I really appreciate it, your opinion is so important!
    This is such an amazing post, im in love! (:
    New post on my blog! Stop by me soon!
    Have a really nice day :)
    http://peaceinmyshoes.blogspot.com.es

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem and thank you, thank you :] I would love to stop by again! You have a lovely weekend! Heading over now!

      Delete
  4. These days in Germany the winter went over. I thought the winter will never end.
    Gardening is so relaxing, isn't it?!

    I like your blog. What do you think about following each other? Let, me know I follow back

    Glamupyourlifestyle.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay I'm so glad! I know how you feel... winter lasted forever it seems like! I absolutely love gardening and it really is relaxing! Thank you so much! I would love to follow each other :] I'm heading over to take a peek at your blog now

      Delete
  5. Thank you for your nice comment. I followed back with both

    Glamupyourlifestyle.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for yours and thank you so so much :D Can't wait to read your future blog posts!

      Delete
  6. hey!
    I nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award
    Check it out here: http://pastel-pink-lace.blogspot.com.au/
    xx
    Danae.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Danae! Thank you so very much!! I will most def check it out :D :D Hope you had a lovely weekend!

      Delete
  7. Greetings love!!
    Beautiful pictures and it is indeed an amazing post!! :)
    Thanks for stopping by and I heartly appreciate it!(:
    Give your opinion of my new post at
    http://peaceinmyshoes.blogspot.com.es

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sandra!! Thank you! I would love to check out your new post :] heading over now! Hope you had a lovely weekend!

      Delete
  8. Hey love(: I nominated you for The Versatile Blogger Award! You can find out more about this award at http://modestlysophisticated.blogspot.com/2013/04/versatile-blogger-award-2.html

    -Athenaxo
    modestlysophisticated.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Athena! Thank you so so much!! I will def have to check it out :D

      Delete